I love a good personality test.
First and foremost, I'm an INFP, an enneagram type 6, and a libra... I'm basically the most indecisive person ever. I can never decide on an outfit in the morning or what I want to eat for lunch. It's a good time, but eventually you gotta put on your "big girl pants" and do the thing.
I did the "big girl" thing and chose to play flute in 5th grade. I gave up dance for a shiny, silver instrument and never looked back. I was a band kid from Day 1 and played all the way through high school, eventually majored in music education, got a master's degree in flute performance, got a public school teaching job in my hometown, and now teach private lessons!
You can usually find me working at school (when coronavirus isn't a thing any more) or at home. I love to snuggle my two cats, Millie and Artemis, and drink some freshly brewed coffee with my boyfriend Max.
Here's my story... you might wanna grab a snack or two.
My friends in high school asked me to do Solo & Ensemble with them, which is a performance event put on by OMEA (Ohio Music Education Association). I performed in ensembles really well.. Great! The following year (2010), I was asked to play a solo. It didn't go well... at least in my head.
I had NO idea how to perform by myself! I'd never been in front of a crowd before, let alone with a JUDGE in the room! Of course I was going to be anxious! I ended up getting a 2 (an Excellent rating), but I didn't feel excellent about that performance. In fact, I wouldn't feel proud of my performances until the day I performed my graduate recital. in 2019.
Ok. Here's the deal. You were taught all of the right things.
- proper fingerings (hopefully)
- how to breathe
- how to play in the right key signature
- how to articulate
- how to listen for what sections have the melody with you at measure 42
- when to play a dynamic level softer...
BUT you probably weren't taught how to manage your internal monologue when it's just you on stage or how to get your breathing under control when you feel like you're hyperventilating...
Yeah. I know exactly what you went through. I'm here for you because I WAS you.
I went from a meek teenager who always hyperventilated and cried after a solo performances to a competent and confident flutist who got herself a full ride to grad school to a full-fledged teacher who is ready to help you change your life.
Are you ready?
Student Success Stories
(This could be you!)
- earned a seat in Ohio University Honor Band
- earned Principal Flute in Ross County Honor Band
- received a "1"/Superior on a Class B Flute Solo (x2)
- received a "1"/Superior on a Class B Piccolo Solo
- performed a solo work at their band concert in front of the entire audience (x2)
- gained admission to Ohio University (x2)
- gained admission to Marietta College
- gained admission to Muskingum University
- awarded numerous talent scholarship monies from all universities listed
- earned Assistant Principal Flute in OMEA District 16 Honor Band